LinkedIN: How to optimise your profile, build your network and create engaging content

Posted by on April 19th, 2020

Why should you use LinkedIn to build your career?

In 2020:
– LinkedIn currently has over 660 million members.
– 100 million daily users
– The network has 303 million active monthly users, 40% of which visit the site daily.
– 90 million senior-level influencers and 63 million decision makers use LinkedIn.
– 1 in every 3 professionals on the planet is on Linkedin
– 99% of members have the free version but that remaining 1% of members account for 22,000 corporate clients and 500,000 premium members

So how can you make the most of LinkedIn? With more people on social media now than ever before, now is the time to optimise your profile, build your network and create content to build relationships.

Here are my top tips for LinkedIn:

– Optimise your profile
There are several things you can do to optimise your profile.
o Start with picking the correct profile picture – make sure it is a professional one of you.
o Have a suitable background photo that matches with what you do workwise or create a graphic using Canva (free design software).
o Make your headline more than just a job title and should state what you do and for whom.
o With the summary section, use this into being about your ideal client or ideal employer rather than just giving a summary of you and your background.
o Use the LinkedIn features section to upload media links to blog articles, case studies and success stories.
– Update your profile regularly.
– List your relevant skills and ask previous clients/employers and colleagues to endorse and recommend you.

– Build your network
o Tap into your 3rd connections. 1st connections are the people you are already connected too. 2nd connections are their connections and 3rd connections are the connections of your 2nd connections.
o To find your 3rd connections, go into My Network, then click Search with filters and then next to people there is a drop down box for 1st, 2nd and 3rd connections. This is where you will find your 2nd and 3rd connections
– Join relevant industry groups by searching by keywords
– Follow up meetings and conversations by connecting with the individuals you have met on LinkedIn.

– Create engaging content to build relationships
o Use a mix of text, images and videos
o Post industry news and insights
o Post articles such as case studies and white papers
o Post client testimonials
– Engage with your connections by commentating on their posts, asking questions and for opinions.
– Reduce external links on posts by adding links in the comments section.
Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Do get in touch if you need more advice and please do come and join my Facebook group for tips and tricks on getting ahead in the events industry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GetAheadinEventswithSamanthaSalisbury/

Posted in: Events

Samantha Salisbury

Samantha Salisbury has been working in events management for over 20 years. Her event management career started at the old Wembley stadium. She has since managed events all over the world covering sectors including sport, academia, pharmaceuticals, banking and public sector.

Email: info@jonsamevents.co.uk